Automation activity tracking
You can use two tools to track what happens in automation: events saved to individual customer profiles, and statistics of the entire workflow.
In the Automation module, each activity (movement between steps in the workflow) of the customer is translated into events and listed on the customer card.
The Track datapoints option (disabled by default, except for triggers and end nodes) makes these events available for use in analyses in the Analytics module. The option can be enabled separately for each node.
- The Track datapoints option doesn’t affect the visibility of the
clientIsInPathevents on the customer card. It only changes their availability in analytics.
- Events are kept in the database for a retention period that differs between business profiles. To check the retention of a particular event type, contact your system administrator.
- Activities connected with automation steps may appear with a slight delay due to overloads caused by increased traffic. This has no impact on workflow execution.
The Track datapoints option is available for most nodes. You can find it in the lower-left corner of the node configuration view.
When you switch the toggle on in a node, the
clientIsInPath event generated for that node will be available in the Analytics module.
When a customer arrives at the Send email action node and the Track datapoints option is switched on in the node settings:
- An email is sent to a customer.
message.sentevent is generated and it is visible on the customer card and in analytics (this happens regardless of the state of the Track datapoints option).
automation.clientPathStepevent is generated and visible on the customer card (this event is generated regardless of the Track datapoints option).
- The same
automation.clientPathStepevent becomes available for use in analytics, for example in funnels.
- Triggers and End nodes only: The Open in Profiles option becomes available in the statistics of the node.
Automation statistics let you examine how many customers reached and passed particular nodes. You can use this to evaluate the effectiveness of your workflow, but also for troubleshooting.
To access the statistics:
- Go Automation > Workflows.
- Open a workflow.
- In the upper-left corner above the canvas, click Analytics.
The analytics may take a few seconds to load.
Result: The view displays how many customers entered each of the nodes.
- To see detailed statistics of a node, double-click it.
Result: A panel with the detailed statistics opens. Each node node contains information about how many customers entered and completed (executed) the node. Additional information depends on the type of node and may include data such as:
- how long it takes to reach this node
- how many customers who began the workflow reached this node
- if there were any errors in processing the node
- and more
- Triggers and End nodes only: To see a list of profiles who completed this node, in the upper-right corner click Open in Profiles.