Mandatory upgrade is a notification which is displayed when an upgrade in your app is needed. Synerise lets you check what version of the app your users currently have. For those who have an older version, you can automatically show the mandatory upgrade.
You can use this solution to inform customers about:
- New versions of your app,
- Changes in the application,
- Mandatory upgrade for users who have an old version.
Create mandatory upgrade
In order to activate Mandatory upgrade messages, go to Communication > Mobile.
- Click the Create new button in the upper right corner of the screen,
- Choose Mandatory Upgrade from the list,
- Add the name of your message along with a description.
You can create a Mandatory upgrade by filling in these 5 sections:
- Choose Mobile message type,
- Choose the Device type,
- Choose the Audience,
- Create the Content,
- Set up the Schedule.
Mobile message type
Choose the type of your message. If you want to change the type, you can do it by choosing Change button.
In this section you can decide in which type of devices your message will be displayed. There are three options:
- All types of devices,
- iOS only,
- Android only.
In this section you can choose the target of your message by selecting one of three options:
- Everyone - Everyone who has your mobile app and gave consent for mobile marketing will receive your message. The estimated reach takes into account the number of customers who have given marketing consent to mobile push notifications.
- Segment - You can send the message to one or more existing segments in the system.
- New Audience - Create new segments and specify the conditions which the target must meet.
- Advanced options - You can use these additional options for your message.
Advanced options - explanation
- Batch delivery - It prevents sending push to all recipients at once. When to use it? When there is a risk that sending a whole batch of push notifications at once will result in excessive website-crashing clicks in the link included in the push notification.
- Enable control group - It creates a subgroup of the recipients who won’t receive any push variant. When to use it? When you send one or several variants of a push notification (A/B/x testing). When a customer is assigned to a control group, the information is available in their Profiles card as an event.
- Include audience changes - Available only for scheduled push notifications. It recalculates the number of recipients right before sending the push notification. By default, the size of the customer segment chosen for the push is the same as in the moment of sending, even if the number of customers in the chosen segment changed between scheduling the push and sending. When to use it? When the size of the segments of customers selected as the audience of the push notification can change dynamically.
- Ignore limits - If you want to make sure that this message is sent to a customer, even if it exceeds the global limit of this type of messages for a single customer per day (more information is available here), enable the Ignore limits toggle. You may apply it to system messages such as a transaction confirmation, notifications about order delays, and so on.
- To save your changes, Click the Apply button below.
To add your template, click the Create message button. You can create your Mandatory Upgrade using the visual builder or an existing template.
- You can choose from the template list if you have prepared one before. To do this, choose the From templates option,
- Next, select one from the list.
To create a new Mandatory Upgrade message, you can also use the visual builder:
- Add the name for your project,
- Save this project as a new template in a selected folder,
- Go to the next step when your message is ready for use,
- You can also leave the panel by clicking the exit button,
- Using Insert you can add a personalized message box into your message (e.g. personalized products/coupon/link/name etc.),
- Choose the layout. You can choose one layout from among four types: Full screen image, Full screen image + text, Full screen color + text or Mixed content,
- Add content. The type of content depends on the layout chosen in the previous step. If you have chosen full screen image, you will find a box for the image URL and the background color, but in case of text you will find boxes for the header and description,
- Add a CTA button and edit the button text, corner radius and color,
When your template is ready, you can additionally decide if you want to optimize your message using an A/B test.
- To add another version, click the plus button at the top of the content box,
- Add another template in the same way as before but add some changes to make this version a little bit different,
- You can use customer allocation and choose what percent of your customer base will get version A or B,
- After entering the content, save the changes with the Apply button.
- By choosing more than one version within the A/B test, you will be able to set the size of the groups to which a given message will be sent. The control group (if you checked the “enable a control group” option in the previous step) is already excluded from the recipient database.
- The maximum number of versions sent within one message is three with the control group.
This is where you can set the start date for your message.
You can choose between two options:
- To send your message after clicking the Send button on the upper right corner, use the Display immediately option.
To plan a message to be sent at a future date, use the Scheduled option. Set the start time and the time zone.WARNING: Synerise is a system that performs the best while operating on the real time data that is why the users can plan a message 10 days forward from the current date.
To select the best time of sending the message, take a look at the suggestion from the AI engine that calculates the best time (for all recipients). If time optimization is disabled, click here to learn more how to enable it and use it.
To save the changes, click Apply.
Set up time restrictions for sending notifications
To disable sending out notifications at a specific time during the day, in the Silence Hours in the Schedule section, select one of the following options:
- Without silence hours - Notification can be processed and sent out to the recipients at any time during the day.
- Include silence hours - In the selected time, the notifications won’t be sent out to the recipients. The duration of silence hours can’t exceed 12 hours. If the sending process overlaps with silence hours, the unsent part of the notifications will be rejected. In such case, the
push.skippedevent will be generated.WARNING: If a notification is scheduled for sending just before silence hours (for example, silence hours start at 22:00 and sending is scheduled at 21:59:59), the notification may be processed, sent, and logged in the events a short time after the silence hours start.
Save and send
After completing all the sections you can decide if you want to send your message now or save it for later.
- You can finish your message later and save it as a draft,
- You can send the message immediately with the Activate button.