An email marketing campaign is a series of emails a business uses to communicate with current and potential customers. It is a coordinated set of individual messages that are deployed across a specific period of time with one specific purpose, such as to download a white paper or sign up for a webinar.
Email marketing is one of the most effective and economical forms of reaching potential customers. It involves sending recipients information about the current commercial offer and promotion. With the help of this tool, you can send company newsletters, subscriptions or information, such as webinar invitations.
Email campaign automation, based on behavioral data about the customer, allows you to send messages in a timely and appropriate manner. “In the case of an educational message cycle - the system will allow you to adjust the level of advancement to the level of knowledge of the recipients. Automation of communication with customers saves time while increasing the efficiency of email delivery. Shipments can also be made outside a marketer’s working hours.
Configure a sending account
Before you start sending your campaigns to your customers, remember to set up your account. Pre-preparation is very important to ensure that your campaigns will be delivered without any errors.
In order to create an account, go to Settings > Configuration > Emailing.
To add a new account, click the blue button in the upper right corner and go to the configuration.
Enter the account name - it will be used only for internal purposes.
Add the email address you want to send the campaign from.
Add a name that will be displayed in the customer’s inbox near the subject of the email.
Enter the email address where customer responses will be sent.
Enter the name of the account, dedicated to the reply, which will be displayed to your customers.
Optionally, you can set a custom link that allows the user to unsubscribe from receiving the newsletter.
Here you can choose an email provider. There are two options:
- Synerise sender - shipping using our solution.
- own SMTP - use an external provider or your internal email server. Remember, if you want to send emails via your own SMTP, you need to pre-integrate it.
- If you choose the Synerise sender option, be sure to add the SPF parameter.
- After creating the account, you will receive an email message asking you to confirm it. After clicking the confirmation link, the status of the email account will be changed from awaiting confirmation to confirmed. Only after confirming your account can you send campaigns from Synerise.
UTM markers have been introduced by Google so that you can easily categorize your campaigns in the Google Analytics platform and to know what traffic sources are on your website.
In other words, thanks to UTM tags, you maintain order in your campaigns and find out which marketing creations and their specific elements are clicked the most by the recipients of your messages.
In order to add UTM tags in the campaign, go to Campaigns > Email > Create Campaign.
UTM tags are composed of the following elements:
- Campaign - with this element we mark a specific campaign, e.g. Summer Sale, Black Friday, etc.
- Medium - Medium – this specifies the type of movement. We identify whether it is paid, free, or if it comes from newsletters, and so on.
- Source - the source of incoming traffic. This is the only mandatory parameter when specifying UTMs. The others are optional, but you should use them.
- Term - used to mark keywords.
UTM advanced options
- URL parameters - with this element, you can also set parameters for links in the campaign.
- Then set up the preferred value for parameters.
Campaign approval process
You can design the decision making process and distinguish reviewers and an approver among the users who are added to a business profile.
Regular users who create a campaign template in the application will send the template to reviewers and after their positive verification, the approver will either approve or disapprove the template.
To design the approval process, go to Service approval (Settings > Configuration > Approval Services), where you can configure the settings.
You can analyze the results of all your campaigns, including those achieved, using email. The time range of data collection in analytics depends on the retention of data determined individually.
In order to see an email campaign overview, go to Campaigns > Email.
In the Filters section you can filter campaigns based on their status and the time that they were created. You can filter them based on a number of conditions:
- Recent - see the list of most recently sent campaigns.
- Draft - see a list of email templates.
- Scheduled - see a list of scheduled campaigns.
- Active - see a list of all currently active campaigns.
- Paused - see a list of all paused campaigns.
- Inactive - see a list of all inactive (finished) campaigns.
In the Templates section, you can find templates that can be used in your campaigns.
The Folder section allows you to add folders to a group and organize campaigns. To add a specific campaign to a folder, click on the three-dots symbol and choose the Move to option, and choose a folder you created earlier.
If you want to create a campaign, find and click the blue button in the upper right corner.
- The Status campaign section shows how many campaigns are active/scheduled/paused and the number of clicks and displays from the last 24h.
- In the All campaigns section you can see campaign statuses (how many of them are active/scheduled/paused), and on the right side you see statistics from the last 24 hours (number of emails sent, OR and CTR).
- To show details, choose and click a campaign.
To create a new email template, you have to know about the capabilities in the Synerise templates editor.
To create your new email template, you need to complete the following steps:
In order to create a new template, go to Campaigns > Email > Templates > Create new.
There are a couple of ways to create a new email template in Synerise. In this part we will show you the available methods, including:
Synerise allows you to create templates for emails using your own HTML script.
In order to create an email template from HTML, go to Campaign > Email > Templates > Create new > Code Editor.
- Enter or edit the name of the template.
- Select the folder to which the template will be added.
- The option of saving the template.
- Before the template can be put to official use, send the template to be reviewed. Once the request for an approval is sent, the status of a pending approval is shown in place of this button.
- In the middle of reviewers verification
- Before the final approval
- After the final approval
- Insert - The ability to add a personalized field.
- This is the preview of the content you put in the field 7 and 8.
- The first field is intended for uploading HTML content.
- You can also add CSS to the template.
Synerise enables you to create email templates, using ready-made elements and solutions that you choose according to your own needs and preferences.
In order to create an email template using the Drag & Drop Email Creator, go to Campaign > Email > Templates > Create new > Visual Builder.
There are a couple of ways to build a new email template in Synerise’s Drag & Drop Email Creator. In this part we will show how to use menu buttons and the main menu to create your own email template.
- Click the pencil icon to give the email template a name.
- Choose in which folder you want to save your template.
- Undo - In case you want to reverse an action, click this button.
- Redo - In case you want to restore a deleted action, click this button.
- Template size selector - You can preview the final layout of the email on desktop, mobile devices or tablets.
- Visibility - Show the borders of each element in a template.
- Export - You can use the HTML code of the email you are creating and paste it to another template.
- Import - You can use an HTML code from another email and paste it to the template you are creating now.
- Clear every element of the template.
- Insert - This option gives you the ability to add insert, images, product recommendations, links, coupons and pieces of analytics to your email template.
- Variables - Add customer attributes which are available in the business profile. This way you can personalize the content of the message, for example, by using the name or full name of the recipient of the message.
- Metrics - Add one of the metrics you have already created.
- Aggregates - Add one of the aggregates you have already created.
- Expressions - Add one of the expressions you have already created.
- AI Suite - Add product recommendations you have previously prepared in
Campaigns → Recommendations.
- AI Cart Recommendations - You can add product recommendations which are complementary to the products in the carts of the users.
- Social proof - This type of insert is available only in a dynamic content campaign. It allows you to add dynamic metrics to your website and show the visitors how many people are viewing the product or have purchased it.
- Images – Add images to your email. Copy the URL path of the image to your clipboard. You will need to paste it when you drag the Image element to the canvas.
- Links - Add an unsubscribe link to your email. Remember that all emails need an unsubscribe link.
- Blocks - Add a custom link (for example opt-out/ opt-in link) or other element to your email. For this purpose, you can define a custom opt-out link in Data Management.
- Pools - Add coupons to the email to encourage your customers to make a purchase.
On the right side of the screen find the column with four buttons.
- Personalize - Edit every element of your email by adjusting margins, choosing fonts, and adding decorations to the elements you add to the email.
- Component settings - Describe every element that you use, assign its ID and a title.
- Body - Check if elements are situated in the appropriate place in the template.
- Elements - Drag and drop the elements which you want to include in the template (e.g. text fields, buttons, separators, images, etc.). You can choose from basic and ready-made elements.
- Classes - Define a class of the widget you are editing.
- Dimension - You can manipulate the size of the element, changing its width and height, space between the widgets and padding.
- Typography - Adjust the font-related settings, you can change font type and size, its weight and letter spacing. Such options as text alignment, text shadow and text decoration will help you make the content of the email look more attractive.
- Decorations - Customize the widget by changing its opacity, background color or the rounding corners. You can find more advanced settings such as defining the width and border style and colors here as well.
- Describe additional parameters of the element you are editing. For example, an alternative description can display instead of an image if that image cannot be correctly shown in the browser. For buttons, you can link to a website and set whether a website will open in a new window, etc.
- You can check the structure of the email and change the position of the elements used in the template.
- You can choose elements which you need to customize on your own from scratch and build larger components.
- Take advantage of ready-made elements, such as footers, sliders, product frames, and the gallery, which are already styled and just need to be customized.
- Basic - Drag and drop classic elements that are typically used in emails, such as sections, dividers, links, text fields, images, and buttons.
Import from ZIP file
Synerise allows you to create templates by importing them from a ZIP file. In order to create an email template by importing it from a ZIP file, go to
Campaign → Email → Templates → Create new → Import from ZIP file.
Drag & Drop your files, or browse them from your computer. Your ZIP file should be less than 10 MB and contain:
- All images in web formats (png, gif, or jpg).
- Your CSS file(s).
Import from URL
Synerise allows you to create templates by importing them from a URL. In order to create an email template by importing it from a URL, go to Campaign > Email > Templates > Create new > Import from URL.
Enter a URL address with your template. Remember that:
- Your page should be simple HTML with CSS without JS files.
- Pages should contain valid HTML, CSS and image files.
- All files will be saved on our servers, JS files will be skipped.
Creating a template library allows for better and easier organization of materials in the system. In order to create a folder in the Template library, go to Campaigns > Email > Templates > From template.
- Use the Template library to organize existing templates.
- You can use Display settings to select your preferred view: icons or list. You can sort results by the Name and Date parameters.
- If you click Form template you may choose a template from the Default folders or create a new folder by clicking the + icon to open the edition settings.
Tip: If you have not created a folder before, you will see default folders created by Synerise.
You can also create a group of templates prepared in different languages.
Send email campaigns
There are a couple of ways to send email campaigns in Synerise. In this part we will show you the available methods, including:
If you want to send a campaign to a predefined group of contacts or a whole database, you can do this manually from the Campaigns panel.
In order to send emails by using campaigns, go to Campaigns > Email > Create Campaign.
- First, set or edit the name of the campaign.
You can also add a description of the campaign so that any other Synerise user within your account can quickly understand what the campaign is.
In this section you can specify the recipient group.
Everyone - selecting this option will prompt a bar containing all leads in the business profile, specifying the percentage of people with marketing consent. The campaign will be launched only to people who have given permission.
Segment - select a segment from the list of existing ones.
New audience - create a new segment, save it or use it once in a campaign.
Advanced options - additional settings:
- Batch delivery - set whether campaigns are to be sent in batches (provides a campaign to a large number of recipients in stages, in order to avoid overloading internet and email service providers).
- Enable a control group - create a control group (a control group is defined as the percentage of your group who will not receive this campaign, so you will better understand its effectiveness).
- You can send your email without marketing consent verification.
- Include audience changes - By default, the size of the customer segment chosen for the email campaign is the same as in the moment of sending, even if the number of customers in the chosen segment changed between creating the campaign and sending. To recalculate the audience right before sending the email campaign, tick this option. It’s only available for scheduled campaigns.
When you finish, Click Apply to save changes.
- Variant A of the campaign is available by default. You can add more variants if you want to run A / B / X tests. You can send up to three versions in one campaign.
- From the dropdown list choose the email address you will use to send the email.
- You can use sender name instead of displaying your email address in the first place. This field is filled automatically as you select the email address in the step 2.
- Type in the subject of your email (up to 140 characters). This subject displays in the recipient’s inbox.
- This is the email address to which the recipients can send responses. The field is filled automatically when you choose the email address in the step 2.
- This name that displays in the Reply to field (if it’s not filled, the email address will display) when the recipients answers back the email. The field is filled automatically after selecting the email address from the list in the step 2.
- You can add files to the email.
- Accepted formats: .png, .jpg, .pdf,
- Accepted size: up to 20 kB
- To create the content of the email campaign, click the Create message button.
- You can code a template that will send more than one message within one campaign.
- If you choose more than one shipment as part of the A/B/X tests, you will be able to set the size of the groups to which a given campaign should be sent.
- If you have selected a control group in step 1 (Audience), it will be automatically distinguished from the recipient database.
This is where you can set the start date for your campaign.
- Choose one of the three options:
- To start your campaign immediately, click Send.
To plan a campaign to be sent at a future date, use the Scheduled option. Set the start time and the time zone.
Additionally, the AI algorithm calculates the optimal time to send a campaign on the basis of the customer activities such as
page.visitevents. It estimates the best date for the following seven days.
To set the Start date defined in the Optimal sendig time, click the icon.
- To save changes, click Apply.
UTM & URL parameters
A UTM, or Urchin Tracking Module, is a special parameter that can be added to a standard URL. It allows you to accurately track traffic from individual sources on a given website.
UTM tags consist of the following elements:
- Source - the source of incoming traffic, a specific page like Facebook, Instagram, Google, etc. This is the only mandatory parameter when specifying UTMs. The others are optional but should be used.
- Medium - the type of traffic generated. Mediums identify whether the traffic is paid, free, from newsletters, etc. The most popular tags are cpc, cpm, email, display, blog.
- Term - used to mark keywords.
- Campaign - with this element you can mark a specific campaign, e.g. Summer Sale, Black Friday etc.
In advanced options you can also set parameters for links in a campaign and give them a preferred value.
Synerise allows you to send a test mail before the campaign starts. You can do this by entering the email addresses to which you want to send a test mail or select it from a list of previously saved email addresses.
- Enter the email address (or several) to which you want to send a test message,
- Use a list of saved email which were used before.
- Confirm with the Send test button.
- Select other email addresses to which you want to send a test email.
At the last stage, decide if you want to send the campaign immediately or if you want to finish it later. Just click one out of the two buttons in the upper right corner - finish your campaign later or send the campaign immediately.
Email campaign automation, based on behavioral data about the customer, saves time while increasing the efficiency of email delivery. Synerise allows you to send emails automatically using the Automation module.
Thanks to the ability to set manual shipping, you can keep in touch with customers and inform them about changes and new products. It is recommended that manual shipping be used for the distribution of periodic or occasional newsletters, the transmission of information content, or product recommendations.
In order to use automation for email campaigns, go to Automation > Journeys.
You can create an email automation in just a few steps:
- Set the automation.
- Configure the campaign settings.
- Save and/or run the campaign.
Email campaign Analytics are used to analyze individual campaign results. You can compare and analyze data from each source in real-time, get information on the effectiveness of actions and campaigns, and track the areas that are most important to you.
With email campaign Analytics you can observe and interpret results obtained within individual campaigns in a comprehensive way. It can help you to determine the optimal time of subsequent shipments, analyze the behavioral and transactional data collected about the user in the system, and additionally personalize the individual content of the mailing.
In order to check the analytics, go to Campaigns > Email, then choose and click a campaign.
- In Overview you will find brief statistics about your campaigns and the appearance of your messages.
More campaign details are presented in the Statistics section. You can for example:
See the total number of messages sent.
Bounced is the number of email addresses to which the message did not arrive because the system recorded information about their rejection by the receiving server.
You can check the number of people who unsubscribed from marketing consent and have done so by opting out of the mailing list.
Get acquainted with the graph, where indicators such as opens, clicks and unsubscribed are presented.
Check the following parameters:
- Number of CTA clicks included in the email.
- Number of unique clicks per user. For example, if the total number of clicks is 100, but they come from 80 people (because some of the people clicked on the CTA more than once), the Unique Clicks Indicator will show the value 80.
- Click-through rate is the ratio between the number of unique clicks and at least one link in the message and the total number of emails sent in a given campaign. For example, if you send 1000 emails in a campaign and the links in the messages will be clicked by 250 people, your CTR will be 25%. The click rate is one of the main measures of your customers’ engagement. It informs you how many subscribers were interested in clicking a link, therefore showing how many people were convinced by your offer.
- Number of openings of an email message.
- Number of unique openings per user. For example, if the total number of opens is 100, but they come from 80 people (because some people have opened an email more than once), the Unique Opens Indicator will show the value 80.
- Open rate, which is a percentage indicator, defines the ratio of the number of opened messages to the total number of emails sent.